09 January 2015

A Dream About Cancer

It's been a while since I last made an entry in my dream journal, but this one was coherent enough to move me to make the effort.

What if there is no cure for cancer? What if it can't be killed?

I had a dream the other night about the personifications of cancer. They were two men. Anything I could do, they could do better and faster. They'd take over one process and then move on to another. I tried creating processes to kill those guys, but they'd just take over my new processes -- "We can do it better and faster!" They always could.

Everything I tried, they'd take it and do it better and faster. They could do it better, so logically they should be in charge, and they began taking charge of more and more processes.

Yet, while they made a process faster, the process would burn out faster. They begrudgingly acknowledged the downside of their performance meant all the processes they took charge of had a shortened existence, but they were Fatalists to the core.

I couldn't kill these two pretenders, and I was exhausted trying; then, I got the idea of putting them into an infinite loop. I'm not absolutely clear on how I accomplished it in my dream -- I may have told those guys to see if they could improve on their own processes, so they were trapped forever trying to improve themselves.

If cancer can't be killed or cured, can be trapped and contained? I think there are times when trying to vanquish something isn't the most useful approach.

No comments: